Working in Canada

Off-Campus Employment

Full-time students pursuing an academic program at St. Thomas University may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.


To qualify, you must:


  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and

  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session.)


Social Insurance Number

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for off-campus work:


  • May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request.

If your study permit has: This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada, printed on it and you have changed your program of study, you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment opportunities are available to students. International students may compete for these positions. Part-time jobs should be used to earn spending money and gain work experience; however, earnings will not cover costs of tuition or fees. Many students work for the Admissions Office, as Tour Guides, in Food Services, Residences, Library, and Security, among other departments.

Generally, these on campus positions are limited to 20 hours per week for all students, ensuring that students’ academic studies are not negatively impacted. On-campus employment opportunities are found online under Current Students, Employment.


Working in Canada After Your Degree

Following your studies at St. Thomas, you are able to apply for a post-graduate work permit upon confirmation of graduation. This permit can last anywhere from one year to three years.